St. Mary's Rams' Doug Martin drafted in 1st round by Tampa Bay | News
TAMPA, FL - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers addressed their need for a running back, selecting Boise State's Doug Martin with the 31st pick in the first round of the NFL draft.
Martin grew up in the Stockton area, and played high school football for the St. Mary's Rams before playing for the Broncos in college.
The Bucs traded the fifth overall pick to Jacksonville Thursday night for the Jaguars' seventh overall pick to get Alabama safety Mark Barron, but remained determined to find help on offense for young quarterback Josh Freeman.
They landed Martin after trading their second-round selection - no. 36 overall - and swapping fourth-round picks with the Denver Broncos.
Martin averaged 5.56 yards per carry and scored 43 touchdowns while rushing for 3,431 in four seasons at Boise State. He gained 1,299 yards and scored 16 TDs as a senior.
Upcoming Events near Stockton North / West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Stockton teen killed in drive-by shooting
- News10 My Neighborhood Wishes You a Very Happy Labor Day Weekend!
- Central Valley Target stores hit with credit card security breach
- San Joaquin Delta College's College Night 2014
- Delta College Center for the Arts & L.H. Horton Gallery Presents: Visions in Clay 2014