Bacterial meningitis potential cause of Stockton girl's death | News
STOCKTON, CA - A fourth grader who attended Kennedy Elementary School in the Stockton Unified School District died Sunday, possibly from bacterial meningitis, according to the district.
The girl became sick last Tuesday and was treated at a local hospital before being taken to Oakland Children's Hospital where she passed away, according to district spokeswoman Dianne Barth.
Barth said Oakland Children's Hospital provided preventative treatment to the victim's family and her friends.
The infection is spread through contact or sharing oral secretions of an ill person, such as using the same glass, eating utensils or kissing. The infection is not spread by airborne contact or casual classroom contact.
Barth said a letter was going home with Kennedy students informing their parents of the possible exposure and urging any one who thinks they may have had contact with the girl's oral secretions to contact their doctor. Also, district nurses were at Kennedy on Monday to determine whether anyone had close contact with the child.
Symptoms of bacterial meningitis can be flu-like: fever, chills, headache, vomiting. A stiff neck and seizures are also symptomatic. The infection causes the membranes and fluids surrounding the brain and spinal cord to become inflamed.