Stockton police: Mail carrier accosted, 3,500 pieces of mail stolen | Crime
STOCKTON, CA - Thieves assaulted a postal carrier in Stockton Thursday afternoon and stole 3,500 pieces of mail, according to police.
The hold-up at gunpoint took place at Cabana Way and Continental Way. The mail carrier told officers he was adjusting the mail in his delivery truck when a man came up behind him and pushed his head down into the back of the truck. A second man pointed a large caliber handgun at him while a third man served as look-out.
According to Stockton police one of the thieves used duct tape to tie the postal worker's hands behind his back.
The trio then stole the mail, leaving the victim in his truck.
"Robberies do happen. They are rare, but they are serious. It's a federal offense. We have a standing $50,000 reward," said postal inspector Jeff Fitch.
Customers in the area will be getting a mailer from the Post Office telling them what they should do. Anyone who discovers a check is missing or has been deposited by someone else should call the Post Office at (877) 876-2455.
The thieves' car was described as a newer model red Ford Mustang with tinted windows and possibly a large pinstripe on the sides.
Fitch said investigators have saturated the area, searching for witnesses and clues.
The victim described his attackers as black and 18 to 20 years old.
The assault took place at 1:25 p.m.
Upcoming Events near Stockton: North / West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Delta’s 100th Anniversary time capsule has been cleared for its voyage through time and space!
- Stockton Homeless Clothing Drive at Delta College
- Hundreds of Opportunities at Sacramento’s last 2013 Job Fair!
- The SJDC Jazz Festival presents the group Espacio, with celebrated saxophonist Eric Marienthal
- Celebrate "Navidad en Mexico" at Delta College's Atherton Auditorium on Dec.5 8pm