Stockton criminal roundup involves 13 agencies | Crime
STOCKTON, CA - Officers with 13 police agencies swarmed out across the city of Stockton Friday afternoon to an effort to address the city's serious crime problem.
Stockton cops were joined by 12 other agencies; local, state and federal. The targets were people with warrants, people wanted for recent crimes, and drivers who could be pulled over for various violations.
One driver stopped for a broken light was arrested for having marijuana in his car. A bike rider pulled over for being on a sidewalk had three shotgun shells on him.
Stockton Police Chief Eric Jones said this sort of operation wasn't possible without heavy assistance because his office has suffered such serious staffing cuts.
Both Jones and Mayor Ann Johnston said before the sweep began that Stockton's current crime rate is unacceptable.
Upcoming Events near Stockton North / West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- College kids come to Stockton for summer cleanup work
- Stockton native Maxine Hong Kingston receives 2013 National Medal of Arts
- Stockton man claims he is being fined for brown grass
- About a thousand attend funeral for shootout victim
- Stockton, CA leading contender for Tesla battery factory says Los Angeles Times