Stockton sets homicide record | Crime
STOCKTON, CA - The City of Stockton set an unwanted record this week by reaching 56 homicides for the year.
The city reached that number after the discovery of a badly decomposed body that was found at a rundown downtown apartment building.
Devan Epps,36, is charged with the murder. The body was found by an apartment manager after Epps had been evicted.
Though police aren't identifying the victim yet, a Modesto man claims the body was his sister. Isaac Zuniga says his sister Veronica Brown was living in that apartment with Epps, after meeting him last May.
Shortly after they met, Brown disappeared.
"I felt from the beginning, once my sister disappeared, that he had something to do with it," said Zuniga.
The number of homicides last year in Stockton was 49. In 2009, the number was 33.
Epps makes his first court appearance on the murder charge, Thursday afternoon.
Upcoming Events near Stockton: North / West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The SJDC Jazz Festival presents the group Espacio, with celebrated saxophonist Eric Marienthal
- Celebrate "Navidad en Mexico" at Delta College's Atherton Auditorium on Dec.5 8pm
- $60 Million in Training Funds Available to California Business Owners
- SJDC Culinary Arts Winter Feast, Dec. 11
- Ceremony of Carols Delta College's Winter Choral Concert Dec. 4, 7:30pm