Aunt, uncle, cousins charged with torturing young relatives | Crime
STOCKTON, CA - Four relatives caring for five children in Stockton were formally charged with child abuse in San Joaquin County Superior Court Tuesday.
The children, ages 6 to 14, were reported to Stockton police by a elementary school personnel last Thursday, according to Officer Joe Silva. The kids were taken into the custody of Child Protective Services.
Arraigned each on two counts of torture, three counts of child abuse, five counts of child endangerment and one count of criminal threats were the children's aunt, Edith Yolanda Orozco, 50; uncle George Orozco Sr., 59; and cousins, George Orozco Jr., 21, and Sara Orozco, 18.
Outside of court, Edith Orozco's sister defended the family. She said they had taken the children in and cared for them after they were removed from their parents' home because of the father had allegedly abused them.
Upcoming Events near Stockton North / West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- "Neighbors in Health" offers free health screenings in Stockton this Saturday
- Union: California prison staff told to fake checks
- College kids come to Stockton for summer cleanup work
- Stockton native Maxine Hong Kingston receives 2013 National Medal of Arts
- Stockton man claims he is being fined for brown grass