1 dead, 1 injured in north Stockton shooting; suspect arrested | Crime
STOCKTON, CA - A man is dead and another injured after a shooting near an elementary school on north Stockton Thursday night.
A 33-year-old man and 21-year-old man were shot on the 8600 block of Santa Paula Way around 11:24 p.m., Stockton police said.
Both victims were taken to the hospital for treatment. One of the victims later died of his injuries.
On Friday morning, Bobby Suriyan, 19, was taken into custody in the 1000 block Sutherland Drive in north Stockton in connection to the shooting on Santa Paula way. Stockton Police Officer Joe Silva said he was a documented gang member.
Suriyan nearly wasn't found.
Police had spent well over an hour searching the home where he lived but hadn't found him. It was while officers were preparing to leave the scene when they got information that Suriyan was across the street. That's where officers eventually located the Suriyan, who gave up peacefully.
Though Silva didn't have specific information, he said Stockton investigators were well aware of Suriyan as a suspect in numerous other crimes.
This is be the 31 st homicide of the year so far in Stockton, putting the city well ahead of last year's record homicide rate.
Upcoming Events near Stockton: North / West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Delta’s 100th Anniversary time capsule has been cleared for its voyage through time and space!
- Stockton Homeless Clothing Drive at Delta College
- Hundreds of Opportunities at Sacramento’s last 2013 Job Fair!
- The SJDC Jazz Festival presents the group Espacio, with celebrated saxophonist Eric Marienthal
- Celebrate "Navidad en Mexico" at Delta College's Atherton Auditorium on Dec.5 8pm