Pit bull killed with steak knife to stop attack on girl | Animal Lovers
STOCKTON - A family member was forced to stab their pitbull with a steak knife after it attacked a 3-year-old-girl.
According Lt. Phil George of the San Joaquin County Sheriff's office, around 9 p.m. Saturday, a 3-year-old girl was able to get outside through a sliding glass door and into the backyard where a family gathering was going on. The family pitbull was spooked by the running child and latched onto the girl's head.
The family saw this happening and could not get the dog to let go. Lt. George says someone then pulled out a steak knife and stabbed the dog to death.
San Joaquin County Animal Services picked up the deceased animal and the dog will be tested for rabies.
The 3-year-old girl was air lifted to the UC Davis Medical Center. She was released from the hospital on Sunday.
The incident happened in the 2000 block of Alcazar Way in North Stockton. No criminal charges are expected.
Upcoming Events near Stockton North / West
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Husband of hostage killed describes feelings, is anxious for answers
- "Neighbors in Health" offers free health screenings in Stockton this Saturday
- Union: California prison staff told to fake checks
- College kids come to Stockton for summer cleanup work
- Stockton native Maxine Hong Kingston receives 2013 National Medal of Arts