Our network

Stockton in Phase One of Marshall Plan

STOCKTON, CA - Stockton City Manager Bob Deis said the city is only in Phase One of its alternative crime prevention program, the Marshall Plan.

Angry Stockton residents approached city council Tuesday night and demanded the city to start looking for a crime fighting and prevention solution now that the city has surpassed its record total for homicides in one year and many in attendance were victims of property crimes.

READ MORE: Marshal Plan outlined

"I fear I'm going to become a vigilante," resident Christina Cervantes said.

Cervantes, a mother of two small children, had her home burglarized three times in 2011.

"I think eventually I'm going to have to protect my home and family," Cervantes said.

Community Sponsors

For All Your Septic Needs!
Combining the Best of East & West in the Art & Science of Healing

That's not Santa: Stockton teen stuck in chimney

STOCKTON, CA - A Stockton teenager trying to sneak back into the house after curfew got himself into quite the jam early Thursday morning.

PHOTOS: Teen rescued from chimney

According to the Stockton Fire Dept. the teen got stuck trying to slide back in his home undetected via the chimney.

Fire officials eventually freed the crammed curfew culprit by breaking the chimney apart.

Man shot on Country Club Blvd. dies at hospital

STOCKTON, CA - 23-year-old Mario Hinojosa Zendejas was shot to death in Stockton Wednesday night according to San Joaquin County sheriff's deputies.  

Sheriff spokesman Les Garcia said deputies responded to several 9-1-1 calls of gun shots fired in the 1800 block of Country Club Blvd. Upon arrival they found Zendejas on the ground near the backyard of a home bleeding from apparent gunshot wounds, said Garcia.

Zendejas was transported to a nearby hospital by paramedics where he later died from his wounds.

According to Garcia, no arrests were made and the motive for the shooting was unknown. Investigators from the San Joaquin Sheriff's Dept. will continue to explore the case.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to contact the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office at (209) 468-4400 or "Text a Tip" to "274637" and in the message area type SJSO, after a space, then your tip.

Stockton P.D. seeks help in Oct. hit-and-run fatality case

STOCKTON, CA - Police in Stockton are looking for help in the ongoing search to find the hit-and-run driver who struck and killed Martha Sandoval on 8th Street near Pock Ave. on October 15, 2011.

ORIGINAL STORY: Woman killed in Stockton hit and run

Officer Pete Smith of the Stockton Police Department said Sandoval was struck around 7:34 p.m. after leaving a family party. The vehicle was headed westbound on 8th St. when it hit Sandoval, said Smith.

Anyone who may have witnessed the event, or has any information on the fatality is asked to contact the Stockton Police department at 209-937-8377.

Community Sponsors

Combining the Best of East & West in the Art & Science of Healing
For All Your Septic Needs!

3 injured in Stockton drive-by shooting

STOCKTON, CA - Three people were struck in a drive-by shooting Wednesday night while attending a house party in Stockton, according to police.

Lt. Scott Meadors said police responded to the scene on Warren Ave. around 8:46 p.m. and discovered a 19-year-old man and 20-year-old woman with gunshot wounds. The other victim, a 21-year-old man showed up at the hospital later.

Meadors said the shooters, described as two Hispanic men, opened fire as they drove by the home in a dark-colored Toyota Camry.

Several people in the front yard returned fire, said Meadors.

Meadors said the scene was about seven blocks from the location of a shooting that occurred about an hour earlier on Country Club Blvd.

Meadors could not confirm whether the drive-by shooting was gang related.

A's agree to terms on one-year deal with Stockton's Braden

OAKLAND, CA - The Oakland Athletics agreed to terms on a one- year contract with pitcher Dallas Braden on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old Braden, a native of Stockton, had a rough 2011. He pitched in just three games before being placed on the disabled list on April 18 with shoulder stiffness and eventually had surgery to repair a torn capsule in his left shoulder that caused him to miss the rest of the season.

The 2010 campaign saw him toss the 19th perfect game in MLB history. He did so against Tampa Bay on May 9, 2010.

Over five years in the majors, all with Oakland, he is 26-36 with a 4.16 earned run average over 94 games, 79 of which were starts. He has struck out 305 while walking just 141 over 491 1/3 innings.

 

5 charged in foreclosure bid rigging conspiracy

STOCKTON, CA - Five men, including a Stockton grocery store operator, are charged in connection with a federal investigation involving bid rigging of foreclosed homes at public auctions in San Joaquin County.

A federal grand jury returned the indictment on December 7th, with charges that include bid rigging and conspiracy to commit mail fraud. Four of the five men made their first court appearances on Tuesday.

The names include: Wiley C. Chandler of Lodi, Andrew B. Katakis of Danville, Donald M. Parker of Valley Springs, Anthony Joachim of Stockton, and W. Theodore Longley of Roseville.

According to the indictment, Longley was an auctioneer at public real estate auctions in San Joaquin county and the other men purchased real estate at the public auctions.